How to Meet people when Traveling Alone

A question I get asked a lot is how do I meet people when traveling alone?.The short answer is I don’t, I tend to think I’m better then most people due to a egoistic complex I have. When out, my days are spent judging and labeling farangs as either a tourist or a jaded English teacher, to who I pity, each and every last one of you. For some reason think I have a better feel for Bangkok than anyone, even more so than the people who have been here longer then me, and anything they tell me is irreverent or I feel already know it. That I think is the biggest reason why Ive never had any friends.Contrary to my first paragraph, since my site is just a gold pot of sage Thailand advice, I will give you some tips.

Tips on traveling alone in Bangkok, Thailand.

Using Websites to meet people when traveling

One great way to meet people when traveling alone is couch surfing  which I don’t use anymore as it’s full of stupid kids (aged 18-40 mostly) who think there cool doing un-cool and “hip” stuff. Each city will have its own forum and people will regularly post events of stuff that is happening, some of the stuff people post on that site is cringe worthy, but you will find some nice people I think.

Checking out big travel forums such as Trip adviser, Lonely planet thorn three and Virtual tourist are ideal, and will have many expats who can offer you advice and tips of meeting new people. Facebook and other social media sites are slowly popping up with “expats groups” for the bigger cities, so that is always worth a look.

Staying in tourist spots and hostels

When arriving to a new country alone, it is smart to stay near the tourist spots, Bangkok dubs parts like Koh San road as “back packing areas”. I would eat the vomit of a pregnant whale while having a small group of Piranhas bite my face off before I ever went to Koh san road, buts it’s a OK spot to meet people you can have some sort of conversation with.

Meet people when Traveling Alone
koh San road

Staying in hostels another method, as many other solos will be staying there, usually around 8 people in a dorm, its easy to strike a conversation with anybody. I never felt alone during my travels when in hostels, but at the same time neither had I wanted to beat up some many people during my travels either. People think there so cool, showing me there visa stamps of certain countries, “Wow you really went to Cambodia bro? You must be the first person in the whole world to do that!! Ass****”. I say to myself in my head, while being fake and agreeing how awesome they are.

Other approaches

If you’re staying in apartments, chances are other foreigners will be living there to, so just go ahead and say hello, instead of putting your head down every time you both cross each other in the halls. At the local gym or sports center either call up to see if there are foreigners who play a weekly football/basketball game, then just turn up and ask if you can join them. Alternatively, put up a notice on a gym wall saying you are looking for a partner for whatever sport you play.

Going to bars or fancier places in poorer countries, you will most defiantly find people who you can speak too. A wildcard option could be to join a dating site, and write something in your description that you are looking to make new friends.

Why don’t you talk to locals?

You always get one idiot who posts in all the message boards saying something along the lines of “why don’t you interact with locals, instead of traveling 5000miles to talk to people who you can back home, its what I do”. First of all shut up ill smash ya if you ever said that too me.

See I interact with locals!

Secondly in a place like Thailand, people speak English well enough for me to get by day to day, and I do have some low to medium level conversations with locals. But due the language and culture barrier sometimes it makes it difficult for each of us to get ours views across on more complicated and high level subjects. The banter I get from the people from the UK is unbeatable and its interesting how we can both compare ours lives in Thailand too the UK.

18 thoughts on “How to Meet people when Traveling Alone

1. Anonymous
    9 March, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Very good blog again, I enjoyed every thought and am probably a snob also, although I can strike up friendships in no time, some people are just kindred spirits no matter what language they speak.
    Mati

2. Michael Foster
    9 March, 2013 at 4:25 pm

I’m more curious to know how you afford to stay in Thailand so long (except a brief jaunt in India). I know you did a tourism video, but that couldn’t have given you enough for more than 2-3 months max. How else are you making money as you bum around in Thailand?

3. Anonymous
    20 March, 2013 at 2:14 pm

srs Q

pls answer

can i anal girls on kao san road for $? how much? quality of girl/10?

ty

1. Phil Derpenis
      24 June, 2016 at 10:16 pm

You can have a reach around on a lady boy for 100baht

4. Anonymous
    20 March, 2013 at 2:18 pm

heya

how many girls u boinked in that bed bro

5. ksim127
    13 July, 2013 at 12:39 am

“why don’t you interact with locals, instead of traveling 5000miles to talk to people who you can back home, its what I do”. First of all shut up ill smash ya if you ever said that too me.” why you not chat away and laugh with local girl huh mr farang guy

im an irish lady but of thailand ethnicity and have been in thailand since i was 20 years old so 6 years now to learn the culture and language, farangs never have any good bantz in my opinion so i use broken english and glide by tbh

1. Harvie
      15 July, 2013 at 1:46 am

I find the British have the best banter, the ozzies and Americans not so much.

6. 29 July, 2013 at 4:24 am

Be careful of talking to people abroad.

I got talking to a local tourist in Malaysia. We spent a couple of hours sightseeing together, then went to a local cafe.

He then started telling me sad stories about his life. Much like those Thai girls do on dating sites.

Well I ended up giving him a bit of cash, but later I felt remorse at having given my hard earned cash away like that.

It could have been a one off, or perhaps he did it every afternoon – who knows!

7. Anonymous
    2 June, 2014 at 6:20 pm

wow .. you’re so negative 🙂
    and just as full of yourself as the people you are talking about in your post!

1. 3 June, 2014 at 1:39 am

Yes you’re right!

22 September, 2014 at 11:12 pm

I went through a phase of meeting up with other farangs to expand my outlook and circle of friends, but sometimes it’s a let down when you’re out with them and they’ll say to any Thai girl stuff like ”Hey love you long time” or ”I go with you” and think he’s utterly hilarious. I usually make an anonymous exit from these types..These can be guys who have lived in Thailand more than 5 years and they haven’t got away from the sex tourist tag, you hear farangs who have even lived in Thailand over 10-15 years and are still conversing in cringeworthy pidgen english with locals (and many still ”date” bar girls)

I found that I met the best drinking buddies, some who became good friends on two particular expat forums, neither of which was the awful thaiv*** dot com

1. 23 September, 2014 at 4:55 am

Wise words mate, I’ve not been here as long as you, but a few good friends I’ve met off various forums.

1. Jack
        23 October, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Hey mate what forums would you recomend/did you use to make friends here? I’m youngish 22 years old so interested in the nightlife scene if that helps.

Cheers!

1. 24 October, 2014 at 6:07 am

Start off with meetup.com/ bangkokfaces.com and couchsurfing. They will be decent ones to start with. There’s also a few facebook groups, one called “Bangkok expats” take a look at that.

23 September, 2014 at 7:17 pm

As harsh as your words are on this subject, I fully agree. Too many wastes of space about masquerading as ”expats”

@Anonymous: How do you manage it? I been trying to be as hilarious as that for nearly 20 years, and there’s me just thinking you’re another trolling keyboard warrior

10. Cheif
    21 November, 2014 at 7:55 pm
      I very much enjoyed your snarky, asshole, style commentary. I could almost here Anthony Bordain narrating you’re post. If only you could have thrown one or two ***** jokes in there it would have 100% for me! Keep on posting, mahalos for the laughs!
  11. Alexander Hay-Whitton
    18 August, 2015 at 2:26 pm

You could use a few English lessons yourself, instead of all the sneering.

1. 18 August, 2015 at 3:06 pm