Tips on apartment rentals in Bangkok

I spend my days trolling the internet to make funny comments that no one else finds funny but me. I do come across a lot of posts about apartment rentals in Bangkok, common questions such as:

• How do I find an Apartment in Bangkok?
  • What is the best website to use for apartment rentals in Bangkok?
  • Where do I look?
  • What are the opening times of Dr Bjs and do you recommend any ladies?

Don’t worry, I am here to help, before we go any further I have posted reviews of low budget apartment rentals in Bangkok where I have stayed, you can see my write up, here and here. I also have a list of hotels here

Websites

The only websites I would recommend is Thailand Criagslist, there are always apartments on here for rent, short and long. It’s free to use and is updated daily with new rooms. Kobayshi is another website which is good to use, although slightly out-dated.

Many other websites exist in finding apartment rentals in Bangkok, but they tend to be out of date and prices sometimes inflated.

Walking around Bangkok

Walking about Bangkok is usually the best way in finding a good apartment rentals in Bangkok. I recommend going to Nana or Cowboy the night before and picking up a hot sexy isan chick to help you translate when walking into apartments the following morning. Most of the people working in these apartments speak next to no English, Samchai or Nok might even add a few thousand baht onto the listing when they see your white mug walk in through the doors.

When I first went walking up and down various Sois alone, It was really hard for me to get to view rooms, they would just stare at me, you would think its obvious when I point to my eye and then say “loom”, “I want to see (points to eye again) loom”. But one should never underestimate the locals know about the places so close to them. Sois in the busy areas of Bangkok will have several apartment rental complexes down each soi.

Finding an real estate agent to show you apartments

This is another option to get good apartment rentals in Bangkok, however you will need to be looking for places in the price range of 15,000 baht and higher usually, as they take a commission percentage of your first months rent. If your looking at budget rentals, then you best join Thai friendly and get Nok as a free guide, just offer to pay for her lunch of som tam and sticky rice, they won’t ever say no.

Word of Mouth

If you have friends in Bangkok it is always worth while to ask them where they have previously stayed, as you can get better information on things like the internet, service, saftey and all other things that you won’t really be able to know about an apartment by just viewing it once or twice. Most of the apartments I stayed in Bangkok were from this method.

General tips

Although not always true, if you’re looking for apartment rentals in the more affluent areas, with modern buildings, you will usually have to sign a 6-12 month contract.

The average deposit is either 1 or 2 times the price of the monthly rent.

The cost per unit of Electricity 4-8 baht, and the use of water is usually 18-30baht.

If there is a place to do your laundry outside, don’t leave your clothes out for too long, me and a friend have had clothes and bed sheets stolen.

Ask people within the building how they find living here,I think it’s best to ask farang’s as Thai people will just say “jes jes very good kap”, or just smile and nod because they have no idea what you’re saying.

If you’re willing to commit long term, you should try and negotiate for a a cheaper price. You won’t have any luck on haggling for apartments on a month to month basis.

Having a water machine on site is very handy, especially when you come home from Spicy at 6am and realise you have no water left.

If any of this has been helpful to you, please leave a comment below and be sure to check out the rest of my Thailand blog!

14 thoughts on “Tips on apartment rentals in Bangkok

1. Chris
    16 May, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Hi

I just found your blog and I think it’s awesome! I have a question though, I’m planning on staying close to a year in Bangkok and I would like to know if there are apartments which can be paid using a credit card. If you know of apartments like this I would appreciate the info.

1. 17 May, 2014 at 3:42 am

Aravinda Bangkok allows you, and I think PP mansion does too, I can’t comment on any of the rest.

2. The Truth
    9 November, 2014 at 4:11 pm

You’re a racist asshole.

1. 9 November, 2014 at 4:21 pm

I don’t think so, I just think you take my posts to seriously.

3. Tina
    2 November, 2015 at 5:52 am

I just found your website. I love it! I got a good laugh out of reading it 😀
    You wouldn’t know where to leave comments regarding renting a condo here, would you? My landlord currently is really bad and dishonest and just leave a bad taste in my mouth. I’d like to leave a review and warn others not to rent from this landlord.

1. 2 November, 2015 at 6:00 am

Hey Tina, if you want to share your experience on my site, that’s fine. You can email me through the contact form.

1. Tina
        10 April, 2016 at 7:32 am

Hey Harvie, Tina here. I’m ready to leave my review. It’s long but it’s because of so many issues we’ve had with her. Thank you in advance :).

Here you go:

Do not rent at The Address Chidlom Tower A, 11th floor #9/***. Owner name is *******. And she owns another unit in this complex, not sure which one.

The condo itself is great. In a strategic location but the owner is beyond difficult. Gave me so much hard time every time repair needs to be done. Did not want to fix anything. In the end, it’s just not worth it. Never met her except during the last inspection (we had 2 inspections because she refused to show up the first time) when we’d moved out, but communicated with her via line several times. She gave off that weird vibe when we chatted. When we met in person that one time though, she was soo nice and fake as hell!

Throughout our stay at The Address, we had Prime Realty as our middle person, they were the ones that relayed the message back and forth but even then, still exhausting.

Omg, don’t rent this place. She will not fix anything or would take forever to do it. Every time there is a problem, her initial response were always I had to fix it myself and that they need to come out from my pocket.

On the day we moved in, there was no hot water to shower. They knew about us moving in 2.5 weeks before and yet, did nothing the whole time. When I asked the real estate agent (this guy *****) who embezzled money from Prime Realty but that’s another story) when the hot water will be installed, he said he didn’t know when. So I asked, ‘Well, do we have to wait a week or what?! We need to know because we need to take a shower!” and he said, ‘Not one week but I don’t know when’. HUHHHH???? Anyway, the guy was a mess to deal with. I had to lie to him that my baby had thrown up and that she needed a bath right away in order for him to finally call the landlord to ask about the hot water. It was a very exhausting experience. That was day 1. We had to wait a few more days to have the water heater.

6 months in, the compressor for the AC needed to be fixed. Guess what, she wanted us to pay for it. According to her, the place was empty for a while so it must have been us that overused it. We’ve only been at this place for 6 months and we always use it at a low setting at 25º C. Come on!!!

We had another issue about her wanting to increase the rent in the middle of us renting the place. Insisted she had a copy of contract that I had signed agreeing to increase in rent in the midst of our 1 year contract. Uh, absolutely not!! Now we’re talking about forging a document. She finally backed down when Prime Realty told her we had a witness that saw us signed the contract and in the contract there was no such thing as increased rent in the midst of it.

A copy of my email was also forged. Somehow something was added in a copy of my email. Thankfully I had a copy of my own.

Oh, and wait! I’m not done here. The worst part is now. It’s been a month since we’d moved out. We haven’t gotten our deposit money back. She has every intention to not return our deposit money. Just got a quote back from her a few days ago. She’s charging me 58,000 THB for minor damages. A few scratches on the sofa, she’s quoting me 25,000 THB. ABSOLUTELY NOT! I could buy a brand new sofa, much better quality than her sofa. Her sofa material is the kind that peels off after you sit on it a few times. I actually had a handiman looked at it before we moved out and he said it was going to cost me between 1,500 – 2,500 THB. We thought for 2,500 THB, we’ll just pay the owner for that as we were running out of time. On hindsight…

Oh, and on top of that, she’s quoting me 12,000 THB for a few minor chip paints (ie cabinet door, chipped wall, I’m not kidding you!)

When we told her we wanted to bring in our own handiman, she refused! Whereas during the inspection, she did say it was okay for us to bring in our own handiman as long as they are restored and look like the way they were.

And I’m telling you, we did the best we could in returning the condo in the same state as it was when we moved in. It was spotless!

Needles to say she’s the worst landlord I have ever had in my years of renting!

DO NOT RENT FROM THIS LADY! Do yourself a favor, stay away from her and save yourselves from all the headache that my husband and I had to go through dealing with this irrational, greedy lady.

1. 10 April, 2016 at 10:35 am

Hi Tina,

Seems like you feel victim to a very bad landlord. This happens from time to time which really sucks but is part of the game here sadly. I had to remove the name of the landlord for website precautions.

1. Tina
            12 April, 2016 at 3:30 am

Hi Harvie,

Yes, I’ve heard that some landlords in Thailand are like that. Well, it didn’t take long for us to find out. You didn’t think it was going to be that bad until it happens to you. I called her yesterday, she picked up the first time but said she was in the middle of something and didn’t call me back afterwards so I cussed her out via text letting her know how I really felt. I guess any chance of getting the money back is gone now —not that there was much chance to begin with, so nothing to lose here— unless we bring in a lawyer, which we’re going to do.

Thanks for letting me use your website as a platform to warn others.

2. 12 April, 2016 at 4:25 am

Forgot a lawyer, your best option would be to meet her in person and ask her politely. If she is with others she will loose face and there’s a good chance you will get it back.

4. Tina
    5 November, 2015 at 5:54 am

Thank you Harvie! I’d love to but I’m going to have to wait until my contract ends in March before leaving my review. I’d like to make sure I’ll be getting my deposit money back, although I have a feeling it won’t be easy getting my money back the way things have been going. I will reach out to you again 1 or 2 months after my contract ends. I hope that’s fine.

Thanks again!

1. 5 November, 2015 at 6:48 am

Sure that’s Tina, best of luck.

5. 29 January, 2016 at 8:36 am

In terms of websites you could probably add hipflat. They have a pretty good map interface, showing exact locations of buildings. Since they seem to pull part of their listings from Prakard (where a lot of owners list directly), prices don’t seem that inflated. 9apartment is pretty great in case you’re looking for budget places (e.g. THB 2,000 – THB 6,000).

6. Tina
    18 April, 2016 at 8:12 am

Thanks, Harvie, for the tip. I haven’t quite master the skill of asking people politely when I’m fuming inside. So our realtor is going to talk to her one more time, we’ll see where this goes.