How Safe is Thailand?

After the recent death of two British tourists traveling in Thailand, there’s been a lot of stuff said about Thailand and how safe it is as a country. Not that my opinion means anything, but I will give you my thoughts on how safe I think Thailand is.

Living in Thailand

For the last two years or so living in Thailand on and off, I have yet to come across any kind of trouble that has lead into an argument or worse. I’ve been out well over 50 times to various bars and clubs with friends, and not once have I been involved or even came close to coming into a fight. Does this mean Thailand is safe? Not exactly.

I spend most of my time at the following places:

• My condo
  • Gym
  • Shopping malls
  • Soapy and illicit massages
  • Bars and clubs
  • Restaurants
  • Visiting popular areas that are full of people

Each place listed has either a lot of security, or many people to deter people from causing trouble. I don’t go to the quieter parts of town or deep into the suburban areas of Bangkok, because I have no reason to. Everywhere I go is well protected with security and people, so the chances of me getting robbed of beaten up are low. Hence why me and many other Bangkok expats think this country is safe, and it is in places. When the truth is, most of them have no idea outside their own little bubble.

Safety of nightclubs in Thailand

Back home in England, I would see at least one fight break out every time I went out. In Thailand I have yet to see a single fight, and I’ve been out countless times. Having said that, if you visit nightclubs such as Insomnia AKA insanity, Spicy or Bossy the chances of seeing a fight rises dramatically as these are all clubs with working girls and westerns. Most Thai clubs such as Route 66 you won’t see that much trouble. I never visit Ratchada Soi 4, which is another clubbing and party area within Bangkok but known for a bit of violence and motorbike gangs. I haven’t been there so I am unable to comment, but I have had two friends who have been robbed in that area.

So is Thailand safe?

Just like any country, there’s going to be violence and robbery. Thailand is a country where the minimum wage is 300 baht a day($9), and any country that has such poverty will have crime and violence.

A problem with a lot of tourists is they are ignorant. For example, in England if a taxi driver gets lost or goes the wrong way, you’re not expected to pay any extra. In Thailand, if the driver gets lost you’re still expected to pay whatever the meter goes up to. Don’t argue or complain, as this is when shit gets real. My friend once got into a cab, then after a minute the driver said there’s too much traffic and for him to get out. The meter was 40baht (starts at 35 baht) and my friend refused to pay, and rightly so…but this is Thailand. So the driver gets out the cab and pulls a knife on him. Something as simple as not giving the driver $1.20 for a cab ride or being 50 baht short of the bill at a restaurant can lead to some serious trouble. This isn’t always the case and each situation is totally dependent on a lot of things.

My advice to anyone coming to Thailand is to use common sense, research on the Internet to see what the culture is like here, what you can do and more importantly what you can’t or shouldn’t do. There will be a 99% chance that you will have a great time on your holiday or extended stay, smash tons of Thai chicks and experience 0 problems or issues.

10 thoughts on “How Safe is Thailand?

1. jspill
    20 September, 2014 at 7:43 am

Hey it was 45 baht.

2. Wilco
    20 September, 2014 at 9:07 am

The only time Ive ever trouble was a fight between some eastern euro-middle east type drunk chumps at Bossy, and again between some Poms and Euros in nana. Never had a single problem with the locals.
    The minute you forget you are a guest in someone else’s country (and only there because they tolerate you) then you’re going to get into trouble.
    Its a little more flexible here in Philippines, you get a bit more ‘standing’ as an expat, but not in mainland asia

1. 21 September, 2014 at 10:08 am

Good points Wilco

3. James
    26 September, 2014 at 7:23 am

Irak is safer than thailand atm

1. 26 September, 2014 at 11:45 am

I’ve not been to Iraq James, but I will have to disagree with you on that one mate.

4. 4 October, 2014 at 3:34 am

If you treat the Thais with respect you should have no problems. But you must be aware that a farang alone in the wrong place at the wrong time can be rather vulnerable as I have found out myself.

1. 4 October, 2014 at 5:44 am

Hi Darren, do tell us more mate.

5. Pascal
    18 November, 2014 at 2:25 pm

If you are drunk 4 am in the morning walking on a dark deserted street you are inviting troubles, even if there are 2 or 3 of you. This will happen not only in thailand also in many countries. But i know Japanese who got robbed after coming out of bar 3 or 4 am and this was in Japan, they went to police station to borrow money from policeman to take a taxi home and the next day they return the money to the policeman. Can’t imagine more honest people, and i believe this only happen in Japan no other country.

If you look carefully at some of the farang behaviors they do seem to put people down and Thais don’t like to be put down. Other ex-colonial countries don’t mind being put down they tolerate it well but the Thais don’t take it. I have seen display of ego by farang especially young farangs, I wouldn’t be surprised if they got killed. Even when you are drunk you shouldn’t insult anyone there is no excuse. And you expect justice in thailand if someone got killed? You got to wake up from your dream. Are you still drinking that shit beer that numbs your brain? No body protects you not even the law get this into your brain before the alcohol take over. And this Thailand where things happen remember?

1. 18 November, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I agree on all points Pascal.

6. Tim
    4 September, 2016 at 10:49 pm

In 12 days I have lived in Thailand for one year. Before that I’ve been on several vacations here. To be honest I feel much safer here in Bangkok, where I currently live, than I did in Norway’s capital Oslo, where I lived before I moved here.

Why?

Because random violence seems to happen much less in Thailand. In Oslo it happens all the time. There are so many angry men in Norway (probably because of lack of pussy and bad weather. That is my theory). Just look at the wrong guy and you can get in trouble. Another problem is that people have no control with alcohol. Every weekend back home in Oslo the streets are stuffed with completely wasted people.

In Thailand it’s different. As long as you know the rules, always stay humble and have the ability to swallow your pride at the right moments (like your taxi example). I would say that you chances of getting in trouble is next to zero.