Online Freelancing In Thailand – FAQ Answered

If you’re reading this then it may be your dream to leave your boring job and travel the world.

In the next 6 minutes I will explain how I and thousands of other travel bloggers make money online through freelancing. Some of us are writers, some website designers, coders while others offer translation and consulting services.

I myself am a writer. Before I left my country I had never written an article before had any experience in it.

Here are the most common questions I got after launching my eBook which you can find here.

Do you really make $2,500+ freelancing?

No. I usually make more. Take this month for example:

Ebook

I made $3,100 from one site and another $1,000 from clients I sourced outside of freelancing sites.

It has taken me 9-12 months to get to this point. When I first started out I knew nothing about the online freelancing marketing space. If I knew then what I know now, I would probably have gotten there in 3-4 months.

Online FreelancingCan you get me work?

As much as I want all you savages to be making an online income, I will not refer you to my clients. I don’t know the quality of work you produce or how you work, so unfortunately I can’t pass you on to older clients.

I can’t vouch for people I don’t know, sorry. However, if you would like to co-lab with me on an article or do some design work, I’m more than happy to let you do that to get a live portfolio.

Is this eBook about becoming an web designer or coder?

It is a guide which shows the foundations of what you need to do in order to become an online freelancer in any space (writing, design, translation, marketing, social media marketing etc). I don’t tell you to become a coder or anything like that.

I layout the steps on how you go from $0 to $2,500+ the fastest way possible, just like me.

What about tax? Who do I pay?

I’m not a tax accountant, so you are asking the wrong person. I’m from the U.K and I know if I live outside for more than 6 months, I do not have to pay tax on income earned when living in Thailand.

I know this is not the case for many other countries, you would be better off contacting the relevant authorities to get the correct information.

Pro-tip: Get an eWallet like Skrill or PayPal and a bank account in a foreign country.

Do you think I can make enough money freelancing to live in Asia?

I don’t know.

I do, my friends do and so do thousands of other travel bloggers. If you put in the effort and follow everything I said, then yes, you can.

No two people are ever the same. Your drive, brains, how well you adopt the methods in my guide will decide how much you can make.There is no reason why you shouldn’t be able to make enough to live and save in Asia, or anywhere else in the world.

Online FreelancingWhat do I need to become an online in freelancer Thailand?

Nothing, you don’t need a degree, a certification or anything else. You just need a willingness to learn.

I now create content strategies for clients, a year ago I didn’t even know what that was.

Online work is nothing like jobs in the ‘real world’. You don’t need a resume, you don’t need qualifications, you don’t need anything but a freelancer account.

What is online freelancing and how does it work?

An online freelancer is someone who works for themselves offering their services to others. You are not tied into a contract nor do you work for a business. You can work as many (or few) hours as you wish, take holidays when you want and decide which work you want to do.

For example, if you decide to get into writing, you can pick which topics you want to write about (travel, dating, sports, finance etc) and decide your own rates of pay. Pay is decided by an hourly or a project fee.

These are questions I get asked on a daily basis, if you have any further questions, leave a comment below and I or others will reply. Want to buy my epic eBook? Click here.

Thanks!

13 thoughts on “Online Freelancing In Thailand – FAQ Answered

1. uw0tm8
    25 May, 2015 at 6:07 pm

Thanks for the article harvey. I bought the book and made $550 so far but I work full time so don’t have a lot of time to apply for online jobs and do everything. do you have any tips for people who work full time in a normal job but want to move to freelancing?

1. 25 May, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Hey bud,

Keep doing what you are doing. Build your client base slowly. When you are making more in freelancing than your current job, make the switch. Seems you have a nice second income stream, what services do you offer?

2. Farang-Dang-Dang
    25 May, 2015 at 10:11 pm

Harvie, I also bought your book and now have a questions regarding the process of becoming good at writing. So I understand that you had begun with simple clients/texts.

So I went to the bookstore because I wanted to look for a book which teaches me how to write good texts at all. But It was a mistake because there where so many books which curried favor to me and somehow I was overwhelmed and went back home. 🙁

The question I have right now is how did you manage to become good at writing. Did you bought youself a book or did you hire a teacher for a couple of sessions which corrected your mistakes?

I had success and could land a job where the client wanted a 1000 word text regarding “students and a credit”. But after initial oh-cool-lets-start-phase I messaged him back that I have to back down because it’s to hard for me at the beginning. Hmm.. I mean I have could write away but I don’t have really a plan. Okay research the topic but how do I strucute my text etc.? How did you find that out? (WarriorForum?)

Thanks for replying in advance Harvie!

1. 25 May, 2015 at 11:12 pm

Hey mate, as for writing you need to find your ‘style’ and ‘method’ of writing, this will take time. How much time? Well each person learns at a different pace. It took me a few weeks to find mine.

Until you find your ‘style’, find other articles that match what needs doing and use that as a foundation. For your example, I would search for articles that already cover the topic you intend to write about and copy that.

This can be applied to web design, marketing, translation, coaching, etc. See what others are doing and follow them. Once you gain experience, then you can start finding your own voice and method of writing.

3. Jon
    25 May, 2015 at 11:42 pm

Think I emailed you with at least two of them questions. I took your advice and built a small portfolio, moved off Fiverr and started working on Elance and Guru. Been doing a lot better, and plan to move to Thailand January 2016. Would love to meet up and buy you a beer Harvie. Love your site, please post more.

4. nRon
    26 May, 2015 at 5:41 am

Another fun post as usual Harvey! I’m curious how many people you get per month inquiring how to become an online freelancer? Sounds like another possible business/income stream? Shoot me a private e-mail if you’re interested in some sort of collaboration? Cheers mate!!!

1. 26 May, 2015 at 10:13 am

Quite a few, so decided to make this FAQ and update it regularly.

5. fruit
    27 May, 2015 at 6:15 pm

How come on your elance profile it says you’ve only made $4444 since you joined the site a few years ago?

1. 27 May, 2015 at 6:59 pm

I hardly use Elance, created an account years ago and didn’t really like the style, feel it’s better suited for people in the US.

6. chuck
    31 May, 2015 at 5:23 pm

hi i bought the book and thought it was short and simple. just wondering though of the seven sites you listed which one you would recommend the most for beginners. i had heard odesk was good.

1. 31 May, 2015 at 5:58 pm

Hey Chuck, which country are you from? That helps quite a bit in picking the best ones.

7. Nick
    1 June, 2015 at 1:58 am

I do alright on Upwork but was thinking of creating my own site for professionalism as well as to get another avenue of clients that doesn’t charge me a fee for work I’ve done. Do you suggest that I create the site, make it look great and put some examples of my work on there before outsourcing work to find me emails of potential clients and send them a mass email?

1. 1 June, 2015 at 8:34 am

A portfolio of work is always great. Do this: Write 4-5 750-1,000 word articles in 3-4 niches that you feel confident in (with lots of pictures) and use that as a portfolio along with external links to other content you created. Then mass email.

When you do mass email, add a bit of a personal touch to the email somehow so it doesn’t look like spam (Goolge how to write cold emails). You may need to segment your email list to do this, also start local. Businesses perfer to hire people who are local to them (or once lived where they do).