Is The Average Thailand Expat A Fruitcake?

Last week I went to meet my friend to play some squash at the Racquet Club. As I was stretching my hamstrings to avoid injury on the court while waiting for my friend, I started to think who else I could invite to play.

As I was going through the list of friends in my head I realised something – they all have some sort of element of being ‘weird’. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying I’m normal, just look at this blog , I too am grouping myself with the cluster-f*** of people that are my friends.

My Thailand expat demographic

As I used to play poker many years ago, a lot of my friends are poker players living in Thailand or friends of poker players. Already there’s a problem there, as the average poker player spends most of their day in their room alone in front of a computer, some are socially awkward because of their job.

Okay, but I also have other friends who run businesses, some are school teachers, Bangkok digital nomads, while a few just come here for 6 months of the year to holiday and another 6 months back home to work.

As I was rolling down the list of names, I didn’t find one person who I thought was totally ‘normal’. Then I started thinking about common Bangkok expat places like the rooftop pool parties, RCA on weekends and the famous expat bars around Sukhumvit – nope they were all full of fruit cakes too.

However, maybe these are not the best places to form opinions on Thailand expats given the environment.

Are expats who move to Asia of lower quality?

If I had the money, I would not be living in Thailand. I would be somewhere like Madrid, New York, Sydney, Berlin, Rio De Janeiro or Tokyo.

Why did I pick Thailand? Because I don’t have the means to live in the cites above, and Thailand is by far the best country in the world (in my limited opinion) to live in terms of value for money and western amenities on offer. I can fly to several countries for less than $100 and I have all the options in Bangkok as I do in England.

Just head to Chiang Mai and you will see a ton of digital nomads who live off $500 per month or less.

Thailand expats

Maybe that’s it? The cheapness of Thailand attracts ‘lower quality expats’?

Is my idea of normal wrong?

Maybe me and my friends are actually normal, and my current notion of normal is incorrect?

What is normal? If I go by what I learned in England, normal is doing a job you don’t enjoy, then buying a house and car you can’t afford by taking out loans which put you in debt, then marrying someone who will get fat and you’ll end up living in misery and debt together.

Is that normal?

What’s normal in Bangkok? Well for some Thailand expats it’s going out a few times a week, sleeping with girls in questionable industries, constantly cheating on their girlfriends and not being able to hold a decent conversation.

For others it’s working 40 hours a week for 35,000 baht a month, not having enough money to do the things they enjoy or eat out as often as they would like. Their spare time consists of fighting with their girlfriend and wondering if they have enough money to make their next Thai visa run.

Is that normal?

I know some Thailand expats here make very good money and live fulfilling lives with their families, but I don’t think that’s true with the new wave of expats coming here.

Perhaps humans as a collective are all f****** in the head, and only because of living in Thailand for 3 years have I been opened to a new way of thinking and doing things?

Should I network more?

At the moment, I do 0 networking to meet new people (ain’t nobody got time for dat), although I think I should challenge myself and think about things in others way by meeting people I would never normally hang around with. Or will that make me a hipster?

Don’t get me wrong, the friends I have at the moment (hey guys!) are trustworthy, fun and a cool group of people who I’ll always have time for.

But what if what I’m saying isn’t total bull s*** and there are a huge amount of ‘normal’ expats in Thailand, where do I find them? Better yet, will I even fit in?

What are your thoughts about expats living in Thailand?

Am I not networking enough? Am I part of the problem? Is Thailand a fresh start for people and they decide they will be who they want to be, whereas being their actual-self back home would result in problems?

What are your thoughts on the ‘average’ Thailand expat, am I right? Am I wrong? Am I limited in my thoughts because I don’t have a wider circle of friends? Are the French the problem? They probably are, but I’m sure there’s more too it than just them.

For me personally, if a friend was moving to Thailand I would tell them to be careful about who they make friends with. The average Thailand expat is not what you’d expect. What do you think? Leave a comment.

51 thoughts on “Is The Average Thailand Expat A Fruitcake?

1. Shawny
    18 June, 2015 at 12:55 pm

What does the word ‘normal’ mean?
    Does it mean 9-5 working,wife, 2 kids and a mortgage?
    I spose most of us are guilty of that. I know i am awkward socially having been 8 times on my own to Thailand ( nothing new there ).
    Having good friends that are as you say normal are few and far between in my experience.
    Have met quite a few ex-pats most have the same story, i’m sure i will be a statistic when i move out there next year.

18 June, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Too many to list here.

1. 18 June, 2015 at 4:55 pm

Lol, which is your favorite one Pat?

18 June, 2015 at 8:49 pm

There a few catagories of fruitcakes, like

Decent, eccentric or just plain ridiculous?

1. 19 June, 2015 at 3:33 am

The last one :).

4. Keith
    18 June, 2015 at 10:22 pm

Only two things are infinite; the universe and human folly. And, I’m not that sure about the universe. — Albert Einstein

So yeah, think you are already spot on with your initial observation, “Perhaps humans as a collective are all f*****”

Great post tho Harvie….got me thinking about all the blokes/gals I’ve met there….

5. Mormont
    19 June, 2015 at 3:30 am

I know some normal ones, married 9-5 IT drones. OTOH, most of the expats I see on Sukhuvmit are degenerates, of course.

6. Dickie!
    19 June, 2015 at 4:16 am

Hey Harvie!

I think you’re a fruitcake, with a cherry on top. But you’re right. Thailand does attract the fruitcakes, etc. I’m here, that explains enough, doesn’t it? I don’t believe networking will do you any good. Especially not in a city like Bangkok. As any big city in the world, it attracts all sorts of people.

And let’s be honest, do you remember any of the normal people? Of course not! We remember the ones that are eccentric, weird, extremely beautiful, ugly, and so on. So networking will only bring more of those “characters”. The nice and normal folks don’t go to places we hang out. So good luck with finding them.

Cheers, Dickie!

P.S. You should copyright your UWOTM8?

1. 19 June, 2015 at 4:36 am

Hey Dickie,

Great post and yes you are right, I never remember the normal people, but that still doesn’t explain why none of my friends are ‘normal’ if you compare them to friends back in England.

19 June, 2015 at 5:08 am

I myself was a fruitcake for several months, a hard drinking womanising alcoholic arsehole
    I’d stumble into Spicy club in flip flops at 4am hunting for prey
    Thankfully a friend, DJ Ofay1 helped me out of that bullshit

We all had our dark corners at some point.

The worse expats I saw were single old guys slumped on bars in soi ngam duplee at 3am attempting conversation, walter mitty types who’d claim to have been special forces
    that’s the ultimate expat ghetto those guys usually one step away from jumping from balconies
    anyone ever seen the farang beggar next to asok bts?

8. MatKong
    19 June, 2015 at 5:10 am

What the hell is your problem with French?

1. 19 June, 2015 at 5:16 am

I speak as a collective when I say that, as it is not only me who has a problem with them.

1. MatKong
        22 June, 2015 at 12:20 pm

LOL. Seriously I like your blog but you should avoid to make almost racist generalization like that. Me too I cannot stand groups of Brits getting drunk in a pathetic way all day long being disrespectful and rude anywhere they go, not only in Thailand where they are the first ones to get into trouble but also in Spain and other holiday destinations… However I will not say that Brits are the problem because I have very good English friends who know how to behave. Stupid people are everywhere and have no boundaries, mate.

1. 22 June, 2015 at 12:22 pm

I don’t think my blog would be as good if i didn’t make racist generalizations lol.

2. nRon
      23 June, 2015 at 4:37 pm

it’s a Brit thing, all my brit buddies bag on the French!

1. MatKong
        24 June, 2015 at 11:30 am

If they had a good reason i could understand but the hundred years war is over since middle ages… Maybe an inferiority complex or something like that.

9. Dickie!
    19 June, 2015 at 5:32 am

Harvie,

We – white handsome fellas – decided to leave our countries for different reasons. But the fact we took the step for whatever reason already shows we are not like most back home. Many people might have an opportunity to move to another country, but won’t do it. If we all were so “normal” we simply wouldn’t be here. It does take a splash of courage, adventure and craziness to leave everything behind and just move to another continent. So this pushes us out of the “normal” box.

Of course, this doesn’t mean we’re all freaks banging every freelancer we see on the soi corners. Some of us do live basically the same lives as we would back home. Get up at 5.30 in the morning, take a shower, drink some coffee, kiss the wife goodbye and drive a screaming kid to school. And then, we go to work with Thai colleagues who believe Line is an office productivity application.

On the other hand, we all know the phrase “This Is Thailand” and what it really means. We have to call a cat a cat and say it like it is. Thailand is pretty much a lawless land where the idiots thrive and the crooks are kings. Sex is available in every form and in abundance. For every taste, there is a flavor. And even if you’re not into that kind of nightlife, Bangkok has a lot of other extravaganzas on the menu.

And it is because of this “freedom” we might change our behavior in a way we never would behave back at home. It brings the nuts out of the nutters and, strangely enough, nobody really seems to care. It’s probably why we love Thailand so much.

As I said, I believe we all have something “different” because we made the choice to be here. And if some of our mates back home decided to join us, they would most likely end up being less “normal”. However, if they’re truly normal in a way it prohibits them from adapting and somehow integrating into Thai society we will read about them in the newspapers.

“Foreigner falls of balcony in Pattaya”

To all readers, have a nice Friday! And remember to put that condom on your willy.
    – Dickie –

1. 19 June, 2015 at 6:14 am

Nice post!

2. 19 June, 2015 at 10:38 am

Give this guy a Pulitzer Prize! Great comment.

Good post Harvie and this really hits home for me. I met so many weirdos when I first came to Asia that I pretty much avoid all foreigners outside of a friendly hello in passing. Most people I meet are either on holiday or retired here to drink their life away.

You know the group of beer bellys and tank tops who meet up and start hitting the booze at noon while they complain about life in Asia. Not my scene… They say, you are the sum total of your five best friends. Choose wisely!

10. james
    19 June, 2015 at 7:54 am

Oh boy! Most I absolutely can’t relate to, but the poker bit put quite the smile on my face.

I live in a small upcountry town and remarked to a mate of mine that I was going to Bangkok for a long weekend. He asked if I was going to play poker. I replied I didn’t have enough money to do anything else. That awkward moment when you realize you are a degenerate gambler.

In late (Oct maybe?) 2011 I had a conversation at a school I was working in at the time about a poker player who played online and at a lot of cash games both in Bangkok and elsewhere. In a span of two weeks he and as my wife put it ‘that guy with mai pen rai tattooed on his chest’ were both arrested. Both are well known in the poker community and neither could be quiet for more than 2 seconds.

A large number of poker players here are not ‘good’ people, and those that are socially awkward tend to be pretty bright but have no social graces whatsoever.

I’ll part with something that a wise chap told me in 2011 after I made similar observations about expats (poon bandits and piss pots):
    Mate your views on [the quality of expats here] is a reflection of the people choose to be around. It is no wonder you have the opinions you do when you take into account your associates.

I suppose we all have our warts, and some more so than others, but fruitcakes? some I suppose, just start hanging out with better folks.

cheers

11. Jimbob
    19 June, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Great article and some great comments,
    There are some well messed up expats here, I’ve only met a few okay ones, one such expat phiayally threatened the wife and me forcing us to move where we lived, said “I know people so be careful” my folly you may ask? I stopped him using my Internet in the apartment building and stopped talking to him as he often insulted my wife and Thai people in general, has no money and has no work, but thinks he is the man.

20 June, 2015 at 1:45 am

I met a northern english guy who claimed to be starting his own security firm, for ‘high end clients’ he’d boasted (he started the conversation)

Scruffy, camo shorts, yellow Chang vest, sweaty

His 18yr old son was with him and was also gonna be a close protection officer. He was tall, skinny guy, when I asked him if he’d learned disarming techniques, he just said I’ve learnt all my heroes moves.
    ”So who’s the hero?” i asked ”Chuck Lidell” was the answer
    So a guy having egg & chips in the Offshore in soi 23 is a high end bodyguard?
    I almost choked on my battered cod

I met a gun expert down kao san rd while I sat alone outside some bar, he came up, said hi and started chatting, about himself, I couldn’t get a word in. He somehow brought up the subject of bullets and the damage they’d do to ones liver, as you do, then said he trained the Thai cops in sharpshooting and self defence.
    I slunk off with a blone aussie chick from the next table while he went and took a piss in the street round the corner….

Why do the most successful expats live in the shittest areas?

1. 20 June, 2015 at 3:23 am

LOL.

2. nRon
      23 June, 2015 at 4:54 pm

I used to get some pretty funny contacts sitting alone at Foodland after the bars let out. They always start the conversation as if you’ve been waiting all night to find them! Mind you I’m a hard drinking and whoring bastard but I always pay my own way and own up on everything I do 😉

13. Linda
    20 June, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Interesting Blog.
    I’m normal BTW – as normal as it gets, just my opinion of course.
    This was obviously written by a man and I’m afraid I have to agree – many social misfits out there with some pretty warped outlooks….not all I like to hope. I try to keep optimistic about finding more normal people.
    Bit tough out there tho, especially for single business women.
    Just some good conversation would be welcome most days
    Hahaha

1. 20 June, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Thanks for the comment Linda.

14. 20 June, 2015 at 5:38 pm

Yorkshire saying:

They’re all wierd, except me and thee.
    And tha’s a bit wierd n’all

(i.e Everyone is wierd except oneself).

If you want to meet normal people try Craig’s list! Lol.

22 June, 2015 at 12:43 am

Expats don’t have to be just ‘white’ folks. I used to use a cheap hotel in Din daeng that was surrounded by even cheaper long stay blocks of ”studio” rooms. Many African guys on mobile phones lurking around by the local 7-11, or several using the payphone nearby.
    The locals seemed quite oblivious to their prescence, Although I doubt these ”khun dam” were big tippers though. Fried rice at 30 baht doesn’t warrant a tip, unless it was served to me on a gold platter by a half naked Tata Young who would promise me ‘afters’ in my room.

One guy I spoke to was Tintin, and with his dreadlocks and ”irie irie irie” t-shirt I assumed he would be west Indian. I saw him eating at the foodstalls a few times and he would shout ”yo gangsta” at me and call me over.

We would chat about Mozart, the stock exchange, designer yachts and the rising prices of crude oil. Only joking, the chatter usually revolved around the procession of thai chicks to his place who fancied ”chocolate flavour” as he put it, or his profession, which he said was an exporter of high quality fabrics from Pratunam market to Ghana that he’d been doing for almost a decade.

He never once claimed he was a prince or doctor, and didn’t even try to beat my bank details out of me. Fast forward a year later, he and two Nigerians were paraded before the Thai press with about 50 small packets of drugs he’d swallowed, apparently trying to fly to Hong kong.
    I didn’t point smugly at the photo and say ”I knew it!…I knew he was dodgy” because it never crossed my mind.

You hear the usual stories of African scam artists or drug mules all over Bangkok, and you know what? They’re probably all true.

16. 22 June, 2015 at 2:22 am

Hey Harvie,

Great post. I think it isn’t just Thailand but Asia in general. The lack of rules, the bent cops, the corrupt nature of every transaction, and what you described as basically everything being available can snare a man for life and make him stay.

I’ve met plenty of “very successful” wealthy and cashed up expats, and believe me many of them are more degenerate and out there than the backpacking crowd. In fact, when they have lots of cash they can do a lot more damage lol

Anyway – it is what it is and while South East Asia is a weird old place, I wouldn’t change it for the world. I’m a lifer, and Jim and Jane Normalton simply would not attract me to be their friend, after a decade out here I’m not sure what I would have in common with them.

23 June, 2015 at 2:03 am

Whats the deal with expats who jump from balconies?

1. 23 June, 2015 at 4:32 am

I wonder how many are not sucides and were the result of people going broke/ on drugs or mixed with the wrong people.

23 June, 2015 at 1:03 pm

All this crap about many of them being pushed is hard to believe.

Maybe thrown, but those fat sexpats usually have big bellies so it would take a strongman/woman to achieve such a feat

Broke losers, drugs, spurned by their bargirl GFs etc etc
    Sad really

19. nRon
    23 June, 2015 at 5:24 pm

The ones that really bug me are those that try to convince you they are normal. Or they had it really going good back home. “I read playboy for the articles” Fuck that, if your here for the pussy, cheap living, rockstar party, what ever just don’t lie about it. Not so sure it’s quite abnormal to pull up and relocate to a totally foreign land and culture. Haven’t people been doing that in one form or another for a very long time (>10-15k years) I have a UK friend that can afford to live anywhere he wishes. He’d been bitching about Thailand for a few years now and finally relocated. I can’t say I understand why he chose the new local but I can understand him getting sick of the constant parade of scumbags he was exposed to in BKK. I don’t live full time away from my home in California but I don’t see myself staying in America for the rest of my life. As business options change and location dependance fades living in places that don’t have such strict rules becomes attractive for me. Being a traveler sounds even more attractive than being an expat although never putting down roots may have consequences, I don’t know, not there yet. Just own what you are and don’t do harm to others and I’ll be your mate…

1. 23 June, 2015 at 6:04 pm

You mate is not the only one who is getting sick of the expats in Thailand. I had a few people who think the same. Not sure what’s in the air, but something is causing a right smell.

20. nRon
    23 June, 2015 at 5:30 pm

BTW I just googled “U-WOT-M8” fucking brits are funny 😉
    cheers
    ron;)

1. 23 June, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Funniest people on the planet to have banter with 😉

23 June, 2015 at 8:14 pm

I met several who openly told me they were claiming welfare back in the Uk which funded their Thailand lifestyle. And these were guys I’d only just met, standing outside smoking at some bar.

Total low end scum, thinking they’re living it up at the expense of the UK taxpayer. Now that stricter rules are in place for those who leave the country while on welfare this will hopefully reduce these wankers to suicide when they have fuck all else to consider

Many have burned their bridges back home and live in hope of getting secure teaching jobs without qualifications, constantly living in hope. I got asked by several to loan them cash, which would have been bloody stupid.

Not even the money for that plane ticket home! Fu*king idiots.

21. Scandibro
    24 June, 2015 at 12:02 am

As for this topic, the one and only Must Read for Thailand expats is the lesser known of George Orwell’s books called ‘Burmese Days’ (http://www.amazon.com/Burmese-Days-Novel-George-Orwell/dp/0156148501)

It was written in the early 1930s but the descriptions of expat life in Burma (same same) is practically a description of expat life in 2015. Not much have changed. I laughed hard at the descriptions of the expats in that book. Bunch of whoremongering, drunken misfits.

The main character in that book also seems to struggle with what normal means as an expat and not to spoil the book, it does have some consequences.

Seriously, I really recommend reading the book, it hits very close to home I think for the younger expat in SEA.

1. 24 June, 2015 at 3:43 am

Thanks brah, I will defo look into that.

22. Keith
    24 June, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Forget about all the expats taking a plunge off their 23rd floor balcony….I can at least logically understand their choice of means, if not the ends. But, WTF is up with the Farangs who come to Thailand on their freakin Honeymoon?!?!!!!

Ran into a couple last trip. The look on her face….priceless. The look on his face….same same; but, with a whole different meaning. 🙂

23. Nick
    2 July, 2015 at 4:46 am

Expats around the world seem to fall into two categories – failures at home and people you want to associate with. In my experience, it’s all about where you hang out as to which you meet. If you focus on “cheap, cheap, cheap” as your only form of decision making – you’ll meet the dregs mainly. If you focus on “quality” – you tend to meet quality people.

I drink in 5 star hotels and high end bars and meet real business people and wealthy and able retired people in the main. Drinking in backpacker haunts, on the other hand, quickly leads to meeting expat pond life.

Having a range of hobbies and interests that don’t involve drinking helps too – photography clubs or dance lessons (or whatever) can help you meet people with real lives as well.

I’m not in Thailand at the moment, I’m across the border and I didn’t become an expat to live like a peasant and bang hookers. I did it because I earn well and my money goes a lot farther here than it does back home. I have a fabulous home with a pool and a gym, I can eat out whenever I like, I can indulge my passion for photography (because I can afford to buy lenses etc.), and so on…

1. 2 July, 2015 at 4:58 am

Hey Nick,

Not sure what drinking in 5 start hotels has to do with anything? The people who you see there are superficial and fake. The rest of what you said has a lot of merit.

24. 2 July, 2015 at 6:16 am

I’m one of the relatively normal IT drones here and it does seem that even those are a bit unusual. But then, if you look a bit deeper I’d think most “normal” people in their own country have their quirks too. As an example I’m really into tea (strange, right) but then there are “tea enthusiasts” all around the world.

I’m also wondering if the average expat in Cambodia isn’t a bit more unusual, related to the other direction some comments took.

25. Lifer
    5 July, 2015 at 5:26 pm

I’m proudly part of the total misfits, the guys that you socializers avoid, the ones who live in Thailand or SEA simply because there’s nothing interesting anywhere else for us. Since ever, I have never cared for any of the “normal” life.

I don’t give a shit about “conversation” or having friends (other than some other hardcore misfits). I live in my own bubble and only interact with cheap online fucks, taxi drivers, 7 Eleven attendants and the Internet.

I simply haven’t talked to a farang in 3 years and I couldn’t care less about the “quality of expats” or their ability to maintain a “decent conversation” lol. I’m far away from those basic affective and belonging needs. I especially avoid natives of my home country like the pleague.

I love Thailand precisely because it’s a land of illusions and corruption, where nothing is what it seems and just about everything goes.

Why the experienced sexpats (i’m 35 but already include myself in that group) hate the young crowd is simple: it’s the excited, craving young dude vibe which is annoying. Dudes who proudly “never pay for sex”, still care about swimming pools, hitting the gym and socializing are my version of your “digital nomads”: irritating people full of energy who should better try their luck in some corner of Farangland… and leave us alone in our whoremongering/fuck-the-world/Pattaya-style backwater.

Basically it’s the advent of Wifi circa 2006 that killed the Thailand of old. Before that, only the hardcore dropped everything back home, burned the bridges and came here for extended periods of time. Now, any wimp, every Tom, Dick and Harvie can safely live here while chatting his mamma every night on skype and keeping in touch with everything that he likes… It opened the doors for all the idiots out there.

On thing that most of you don’t realize yet, is in the end, if you stay long enough in Asia, you’ll also inevitably end up as whoremongering, drunken misfits. Asia swallows up people.

1. 5 July, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Seems like you have a beef with the world mate, hope you can find peace one day.

26. Michael
    7 July, 2015 at 5:56 pm

My explanation for the undesirable nature of most expats in Thailand is quite simple… They are all running away from something in their home countries. Something is not quite right to force them to pack up their bags, leave their normal life and go and earn 25k baht a month living in a third world country where they cannot speak the local language. These people cannot possibly be well adjusted, average joes in their home countries.

The exception to this is qualified expats who come here on a job posting or as highly skilled lateral moves.

27. Pickle
    7 July, 2015 at 11:44 pm

Nice blog, glad I found it.

No one is normal, but everyone strives to be. They try to fit in. See American Psycho for details. Most ‘normal’ people under a bit of pressure crumble.

I guess I’d appear to be normal, with the absolute dream job – living it up as a young expat in the gulf. With a local girlfriend, plus a Farang girlfriend waiting back in farangland to start a family.

Except all I want to do is go to BKK on my days off and ‘tend to my flock’. I spend my time looking at property to buy in BKK, and working out how much I’d need to retire like a freakin rock star – which is how I found this blog. Part of me realises I must be a fruitcake, but the other part wonders why the fuck isnt everyone doing it.

Most expats around the world, not just Thailand, are trying to escape something. We’ll never find what we’re looking for, because we’re in the wrong place, but we may find some peace. We all have a history.

For me, it’s obviously heartbreak that has led me down this path of not giving a fuck… And I used to be such a nice boy haha.

28. Greg
    16 July, 2015 at 8:26 pm

I think someone hit the nail on the head earlier when they said that thailand acts as a cataylst for a persons crazy fruitcake side and just highlights its it more

I have a theory that links craziness levels to the amount the expat bangs in thailand compared to what they are expected to bang back in their home country. summarised below:

X – expected number of bangs the expat can realistically achieve annually in there home country.
    Y – the actual amount the expat bangs annually in thailand

The greater the difference between X and Y the more craziness the expat will reveal to the world. For example, an old guy is expected to bang 0 times a year in their home country may bang 5 times in thailand – they will feel like kings and their egos will be the oversized therefore they feel they can do anything including pulling their socks up to their knees whilst wearing sandals and think they are fashionable.

Another example the dry personality insecure virgin guy expected to bang 0 times in their home country but actually banging 10 times a year in thailand – again will be given a false sense of confidence may even be insecure but arrogant, they are also more vulnerable to being manipulated by the charms of women hence may end up jumping of balconies or getting their bank account cleared and ending up more insecure and crazy.

even good looking well versed guys who are expected to bang a reasonable ammount in their home country if they bang way over their expected home country amount (x) they are at risk of cracking up as they become obsessed with the possibilties of banging hundreds of girls may consume them mentally.

The craziest guy i met in thailand was a guy expected to bang maybe one girl a year in his home country and was banging 4 girls a week in thailand, ego overinflated and with that it became hypersensitive so he was unstable to say the least.

In thailand Y will never equal X as its too easy to bang but ive found the least crazy people have lower ratios between X and Y.

Greg

29. Geoff
    16 November, 2015 at 3:41 am

Surely, the term ‘Normal Expat’ is an oxymoron, especially I might say, in reference to expats living here in Thailand. I suspect we’re all in Bangkok to find something we believed would be here, or perhaps, in equal measures to escape from something we perceived to be at home.

Thankfully, and I’ve come to realise that it might be a benefit rather than a hindrance, I don’t have many expat friends here in Thailand. However, after extensive scientific research on the subject – an evening in the bars on Soi 4 and two hours on the Thai Visa forum – I’ve reached the conclusion that many expats are only here because they’ve exhausted their list of things to complain about at home.

On a personal note, I consider most of my own personalities to be as close to normal as one could possible get.

Geoff

1. 16 November, 2015 at 4:01 am

Good comments Jeff.

30. Marco
    11 January, 2016 at 11:48 pm

Why on earth would normal people living in normal places with normal families, decide to give up their lives and move to a foreign country which is too hot, too corrupt, dangerous, sleazy, morally degenerate, and extremely limited in opportunities besides catering to basest animalistic needs. It’s that simple. No, 90% of people who decide to live in Thailand are not normal.