Why I Moved To Thailand

It was 2011, I had just finished university in April and was handed a piece of paper I paid £12,000 for and struggled for 3 years to attain.

I had finally made it!

I didn’t feel any different though.

Maybe I just needed a job and commitments.

My First (and last) job

Fast-forward to November, 2011.

6:45am.

DRRRRRR! DRRRRRRR! DRRRRRR!

I was rudely awakened by my alarm, a sound I grew to hate the more it woke me up and brought me to reality.

I had to change the alarm sound every few months because the association my brain had with the sound caused too much internal pain.

I felt like it was time to change it again.

I believe it was a Wednesday, as I remember getting dressed on this eventful day and picking up a pair of black cotton socks with the word Wednesday stitched in orange.

The socks were a gift from my mom as she was so proud I’d gotten my first proper job.

I am real man now.

It was -4c outside and as I looked out the window hoping for a zombie apocalypse.

I only saw my car covered in frost.

frost-1469134_640

This meant I had to eat my breakfast of weetabix that little bit faster to scrape the ice off my wind shield else I’d be late to work.

I’d already received two emails from HR this month telling me that constantly being late for work is not acceptable behaviour.

A third one and I may be called up to the office to get my bottom spanked.

I ate my breakfast which I don’t even remember tasting, put on my prison outfit and jumped into my car.

After 15 minutes of driving my office appears before me surrounded by grey clouds.

I see a few of my work colleagues hunched over into their coats and scarves quickly walking towards the office to get out of the cold.

I secretly pitted and enjoyed that they had to catch public transport to work.

It made me feel 0.01% better about my own pathetic existence.

I parked my car and stepped outside.

I looked up at my office building and had an incredible urge to vomit.

It felt like someone had hit me in the stomach with a sledge hammer.

I even tasted the acid at the back of my throat which usually happens before I’m about to puke.

” Am you really going to spend another day inside?” my sub-conscious spoke to me.

I managed to keep the vomit in and slowly walked towards the office, secretly hoping there was a sniper somewhere in a tree nearby getting ready take blow my head off.

Before walking through the glass office doors to be welcomed by grey lifeless carpets and a weak stench of bleach left from the cleaning team, I glanced my head upwards and began counting the floors to the top.

There were 11 floors in total.

I wondered if that was high enough to cause instant death if one jumped off.

Hmm, now there’s an idea.

chalk-438073_640

8:58am

I made it in with two minutes to spare… no email from the HR manager today I thought who never speaks or makes eye-contact with me anyway.

I turn on my computer and 7 work related emails I didn’t care about appear before I’ve had the time to take off my coat.

Apparently some fuck kunt called Jon was leaving in 2 weeks and Jane the receptionist, the girl I secretly mastebaited over in the shower at home, sent everyone an email asking for a small donation for Jon’s leaving fund.

Jon wasn’t a bad guy, he was just a boring, un-interesting 30 something who I’d never dream of interacting with outside of the office.

He had a pretentious phone voice and whenever I asked him how he was doing, he replied with the usual:

“I’m great thanks, you?”

And was already walking half-way in the other direction before I had the chance to tell him I’m thinking about committing suicide.

9:27am

I played minesweeper, checked Amazon and read a few blogs thinking I’d just killed 2 hours of my 8 hour sentence.

I look up and the clock read 9:27am.

I gaze around the office and see heads looking at screens and fingers hitting keywords.

There are 25 people in the office but nobody seems to be alive.

“What are you doing with your life?”  my sub-conscious whispered to me.

I was too scared to answer it back.

“Why are you here?”

Again, I was too scared to answer it back because I knew I couldn’t think of a valid answer.

“What are you doing with your life?”

*RING RING, RING RING!*

My work phone eventually broke the awkward silence that all my Tinder dates experience.

When I was studying for my degree, I used to think it would be so awesome to have my own desk, work email and telephone, as it signals someone of value and success.

I kept letting it ring hoping it would stop.

But then Gary, a 36 year divorced male, with less self-esteem than the girls I typically preyed on Tinder, gave me the:

“Are you gonna pick that up or w0t m8?” look.

I wanted to jump across the table and beat him to death with my plastic keyboard and strangle him with my mouse.

Fucking loser.

1pm – lunchtime

The canteen was an interesting place.

waiting-768425_640

People would ask me how my weekend went pretending like they cared, others would talk about some reality TV show or how so and so in accounting is a bitch because the way she worded an email to them.

To me, everyone in the office was a prick, even the people I liked and considered my friends.

I resigned myself to a nice quiet corner in the canteen, ate my sandwiches while snapping more mental images of Jane that I’d be jerking off too later that evening, and again the following morning.

4pm – almost home

This was the time I’d start to actually feel human again.

I would get tingles in my hands that in an hour’s time I would be allowed to leave the office a free man.

There was often an eyrie feeling in the office at this time, everybody was looking at the clock waiting for it to reach 5pm so they could rush home.

I wanted to ask everybody why do they come to work every day if the most exciting part of their day is leaving?

But that wouldn’t be correct office etiquette, and I wouldn’t want to receive another email from HR.

When the clock hit 5, I flocked with the rest of the herd and rushed into my car.

My sub-conscious joined me in the passenger seat:

“How many more times can you replay this day?”

I could get another job but that wasn’t the answer. It wasn’t my job or the people I disliked, it was the lifestyle.

I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life.

But I did know that I whatever it was I wanted it do, it must be on my own terms giving me total freedom.

Later that week I handed in my notice and booked a 1-way flight to Thailand.

Why did you move to Thailand?

What was your reason for moving to Thailand? Leave a comment below letting me know the turning point in your life that made you make the move.

PS: what would you like me to blog about going forward? Leave a comment below about a topic you’d like me to discuss.

22 thoughts on “Why I Moved To Thailand

26 July, 2016 at 4:36 pm

I never really intended to, and it was a small annoyance that prompted me to give up a rather tedious existence I’d got myself into in London, where I’d spent all my years growing up, getting educated and getting cleaned out from a divorce.

Having many contacts and family in Bangkok made me a regular visitor anyway, but this particular trip in 2002 was rather fun, relaxing and mind clearing. Security at Heathrow going out was tight after 9-11 and my return was equally as bad, resulting in a delayed stop in Dubai. 5hrs, then 9, then 13, then 18. For security reasons, they kept saying.

”If this gets any worse next time I won’t come back” I told myself. I was livid. All that sun, sea and de-stress and I had all this crap.

I did eventually land at Heathrow, and the weather and people soon got on my nerves big time. I went back to work, wound things up, got a one way ticket and f**ked off back to Bangkok.

Stayed until 2010.
    Now I enjoy both worlds and watch life in Uk go further and further down the toilet.

1. 26 July, 2016 at 6:13 pm

You’re making me feel young with your stories, I don’t think I could tie my shoes laces in 2002… well I still can’t tie them now.

27 July, 2016 at 3:57 pm

So technically I decided to move long term thanks to a US government act of terror.

Can any other readers beat that for an excuse?

2. habib
    27 July, 2016 at 6:41 am

“PS: what would you like me to blog about going forward?”

you could start off by posting more than every leap year you lazy cunt

1. 27 July, 2016 at 9:05 am

Oh so you want me to post less? Okay!

3. Thomas
    28 July, 2016 at 8:47 am

Haha one of your better posts in the last weeks/month! These kind of posts (rants) made me a subscriber who bought your book.
    I wish you would post more often.. any reason you dont? too busy or do you just dont feel like writing new content?

1. 28 July, 2016 at 8:54 am

Hey Thomas, thanks. It’s mostly to financial reasons. I don’t make any money from writing these blogs on my site whereas I do get paid if I do other work outside my website. I will try and update a little more often and is why I asked people to send in what they would like me to talk about and I’ll try and see what I can do.

1. Thomas
        28 July, 2016 at 9:56 am

Ok makes sense.
        On top of my head i cant think of anything. I read all of your posts from Introduction part 1 and 2 until today – you already covered a lot.
        I always enjoyed when you were talking about your own experiences. Maybe you could make a segment callled “Tops and flops of your last X weeks” (depending on how often you want to write it). Just talk about your last 2, 3 or 4 weeks and the positive or negative experience you made. At least you wont have to do any research for these kind of posts.

1. 28 July, 2016 at 12:44 pm

Thanks Thomas, I’ll be back next month and I’ll be doing some food shopping breakdowns and the like. There’s a good chance something will annoy me since then which I’ll be able to write about too :).

28 July, 2016 at 1:58 pm

How about a piece on cheap weekend beach getaways ?
    I’ve just done several of them over the last few weeks

1. 28 July, 2016 at 2:45 pm

I need to get to Thailand and go on a get-away to do that. Maybe later in the year!

5. Jecht
    12 September, 2016 at 6:16 pm

Holy Shit. Ever since I started High school I couldn’t wait to get out and be in charge of my life. Graduated college, got a dreadful but good paying job. Blew a bunch of money on things I THOUGHT would make me happy. After all, that’s the whole reason I’m working right to be happy being self independent?

I wasn’t happy though, I was doing something I didnt like and the only thing on my mind was the dreadful clock ticking to when I’d have to go back to work. I kept this up for 2 years. One day I woke up and said fuck it, I’m not going in to work today. I ignored all the frantic messages of my boss and coworkers asking me here I was and instead plopped my ass down and started searching “Better ways to live”, eventually I came across this blog site.

Im booking my flight for next week straight to Thailand. I have no plan and just short of a few grand in the bank. Whatever, life is too short and no matter how things end up, it’s definitely better than how things are now. Cheers for the motivation friend.

1. 13 September, 2016 at 3:30 am

Nice story, good luck my friend!

6. Neil
    28 December, 2016 at 6:38 am

Good post. The turning point in my life was reading something that you wrote..I’m paraphrasing but it was something like “have you ever realised everyone you work with is a fucking fuckwit and wonder how they managed to get hired?”

That was the light bulb moment.

Fast forward 3 months later and I’m living in Thailand making a living freelance writing. I have two regular clients and just picked up a new one. I’d like to see you write more about expanding contacts and searching for clients. I bought your book but my cold emails aren’t working.

1. 28 December, 2016 at 7:00 am

Hey Neil I have a more nomad related site here: http://www.nomadharvie.com you can get more freelancing advice etc there. Will discuss freelancing in the coming months.

7. tom
    7 February, 2017 at 8:17 pm

how much was on your bank account when you decided to move? I dont want an exact amount, but would be nice to get a hint how much is needed.

It sounds easy to book that one way flight, but if you dont have some financial background your are back home sooner or later.

1. 8 February, 2017 at 3:15 am

Mine was a little over $10k usd.

8. tom
    8 February, 2017 at 10:36 am

Doesnt sound a lot, you had a clue/plans what you will be doing here to earn money? After settle down a bit, when was the first time(months) you earned money from your online business?

1. 8 February, 2017 at 11:23 am

People move here with much less, some only a few $k. Takes people different amounts of time to make money online, some in month 1 others after a year.

9. tom
    8 February, 2017 at 4:07 pm

True that, but how was it for you, with approx 10K …did you ever fear going broke there? Or did you have a strict plan how to make money from the beginning when you arrived?

1. 9 February, 2017 at 8:10 am