How I’ve Turned into a Sukhumvit Snob

If you’ve followed my blog from the start you’ll know that I once lived in On Nut and Bangchak, areas you couldn’t pay me to visit nowadays.

When a friend tells me about a cool bar in Udong Smog or a new night club in Spahwian Kwaih I’m like:

how about no thanks

When most people think of Bangkok, this is what they see:

bangkok 1

When I think of Bangkok, this is what I see:

bangkok 2

Why I’d only live in Sukhumvit

The first three locations I lived at were:

• Bangchak
  • On-nut
  • Lad prao

They are all fine locations but I’d never want to live there again, I wouldn’t even want to vist them again because of the traffic and time it takes geting back to the safe zone.

Safe zone: Sukhumvit 11 to Sukhumvit 67

If you go past Sukhumvit 67, you’ve gone too far (picture for reference below):

sukhumvit 67

Why do I think like this?

Is it because I’m a snob and love over paying for rent, food, drinks, bottles and gym memberships?

Yes, it’s exactly that.

I’d much rather pay 25,000b for a small 1 bedroom in the middle of Thong Lor, than the exact same price for a huge 2 bed in On Nut. You know why, because there isn’t sheeet in On Nut.

I’d much rather pay 22,000b for a yearly gym membership then join a similar gym in On Nut that only charges 9,000b per year. You know why, because there isn’t sheeet in On Nut.

Hola back at me when On Nut has its own Villa Market, mall and cinema complex.

I didn’t always think like this

when I first moved to Bangkok I had a pretty modest budget of around $1,000 per month, sometimes I spent even less.

I’m not Mr. Cash Money now either, as I only spend around $1,500~ per month, but I’ve got that fuck you I’m not going to Bearing or Bang Na money.

I can walk everywhere I need to be (I enjoy walking).

I think it’s fair to say that the best clubs are in lower Sukhumvit (and RCA which isn’t in my safe zone but I’ll make exceptions to go there).

The best bars are here.

All the top gyms to get your swole on are here.

The best restaurants are here.

There’s lots of coffee shops, western supermarkets and food delivery options here.

Enjoy ordering Foodpanda, paying extra for delivering and waiting 75mins for your food.

I’ll admit, I do sneak off to the Smoking Pug in Silom every now and again, Uber there and back though.

My friends who visit me every year stay in lower Sukhumvit and the last thing I want to do is travel miles to see them each day.

I don’t need to jump on the BTS and rub arms with about 50 people because I can walk or get a bike to all the spots.

Oh, and most of my expats friends live here.

“Bangkok is bigger than Lower Sukhumvit”

Not to me it isn’t.

I know the further you go away from Sukhumvit the more culture, sights and nuances you are exposed to, which for many is what makes living in Bangkok so great.

But I’ve lived here for 5 years now and ain’t nobody got time for dat anymore.

All I want is convenience and a Villa or Tops Market within 500 meters.

I need Food Panda to deliver my food in 25 minutes.

I don’t need to be 4 feet high in flood water during rainy season.

And I need to have 8 different malls that I’ll never visit or buy high-end designer clothes from within a 3-mile distance.

What do you think?

I wasn’t always like this mind you, when I lived in On Nut I used to think “look at all them morons paying 200b for a coffee” now I’ve become that moron.

What is your favorite area of Bangkok? If money wasn’t an option where would you like to stay?

PS: this article is 50% satire so don’t get upset.

14 thoughts on “How I’ve Turned into a Sukhumvit Snob

1. AC
    18 May, 2017 at 4:28 am

I do agree that paying more to live in an area closer to your desire hub of activities is a good decision.

However, I am planning to move to ONNUT at the end of this year.
    I saw a few apartments in Dec 2016 behind TESCO asking BAHT10,000(nego) if I sign a one year lease (The LINK). I will be on a Retirement VISA and I do not plan to take the BTS at peak hours and jostle with the crowd. I am planning to join W Fitness at EKAMAI and it is pretty close to OnNut.

I really enjoy your blog, from your first posting to the current one, and I can see the transformation …

1. 18 May, 2017 at 10:15 am

I know the LINK, I checked it out when I first moved here but it was above my budget, nice rooms and good location in terms of bts and Tesco.

2. BangkokBaller23
    18 May, 2017 at 5:35 pm

Glad to see you posting again Harv!

I’d include RCA and part of Wireless Road in there (I ❤️❤️❤️ TenFace Hotel and it’s right around the corner from Lower Suk/Nana). You wanna position yourself with good logistics. Suk has that covered if you’re a single guy looking for P4P girls, good food, stores, lots of stuff to do. One issue that comes up though, is if you wanna work game for Thai Zuni chics, Suk is generally a “Red Flag” to them. That’s why I include the area just around the corner (TenFace area & RCA). Staying there doesn’t taint your “agenda” as far as regular Thai girls are concerned. Cheers!

1. 18 May, 2017 at 5:49 pm

Yeah good points, there is a year on Soi 31 at the end, but not really that big compared to the others.

3. BangkokBaller23
    18 May, 2017 at 6:02 pm

I was thinking more of Chulalongkorn University (NW of Lumpini Park) and Ramkhamhaeng University (over by National Stadium way to the NE). Both are BIG Unis and have some cool coffee shops and little lunch spots to hangout and be the “Lost Cool Tourist” out taking pics

4. fuckbkk
    19 May, 2017 at 10:24 am

> implying that it makes a difference in which part of that smeltering shithole called BKK you live

enjoy your traffic jams, broken sidewalks and being surrounded by pretentious thais 24/7!

5. BangkokBaller23
    20 May, 2017 at 3:33 am

And YOUR preferred Thai location is….?

1. 20 May, 2017 at 5:11 am

Thong Lor.

6. laurentbkk20
    21 May, 2017 at 9:22 am

Hi Harvie

Thanks for all thegood info you provideus !! I plan to stay in bkk starting 2020 so start preparing !!! I agree with you, staying near Sukhumvit is definitly more convenient. Regardng the BTS, i quite disagree, just need to avoid some hours and still theright place to look at nice Thai lady ass 🙂 !!

22 May, 2017 at 12:01 am

Lived in Ratchayothin, Thong Lor, Ekkamai and On Nut over the years. Now am living back near Ratchayothin.

I look back at the 6 months I stayed in On Nut with horror. Don’t ask me why, but it’s not the suburban utopia many farangs go on about. It’s dirty, grimy, crowded and rife with the kind of farangs I wish to avoid.

Thong Lor & Ekkamai were great, as you’d expect. I need Villa, Foodland or at least a Tops within a stones throw.

Ratchayothin originally as I had work based up there 10-15yrs ago. I’m back near there now as I know the area well, have a few friends, and the nearest malls/restaurants are a cut above in terms of girl watching, clientele and food options. Farangs are also thin on the ground, Thank God.

I think the area you live is important for quality of life. Many move to an area due to budgets, and for many their accomadation is merely a bedroom to flop into after a night out or a place to shower and dress up before going out to teach english.

But what’s also important is to spend a bit more on a bigger room or apartment, at least 50sqm. It gives a place that has space, somewhere to sit and eat or watch tv and somewhere you feel happy to stay in when you don’t fancy going out.

This isn’t possible in those 24sqm style studio rooms. Depression can set in.

1. 23 May, 2017 at 8:30 am

Seems we’ve lived in the same places. the older I get the bigger my condo needs to be. First a studio was fine, not I cannot live in one unless I’m somewhere on holiday, and even then I get annoyed.

8. Liv
    22 May, 2017 at 6:32 pm

best gym muscle factory brah, come hang out with me and my crossfit shoes

1. 23 May, 2017 at 8:28 am

lol.

9. BBKing
    25 May, 2017 at 10:11 pm

I just spent a few weeks in BK in the Ekkamai and Thong Lo areas. TBH i found BK very disappointing compared to Vietnam where i’m currently based and have been for a few years. I couldn’t believe the amount of fat Thai chicks around now and the general ‘westernisation’ of the place is not so good. BK has a lot better accommodation and food offerings than Vietnam but when it comes to girls and overall cost of living Vietnam does a lot better…