Visas for Thailand

A question that gets often alot is “what visa do I need to enter Thailand?”. Well below I have listed what types you can get. If any information is incorrect please tell me so I can adjust.

Visa Free Waiver

Visa Free Waiver Depending on what nationality you are, you can get a Visa exemption when arriving to Thailand via plane, too see if you qualify, click here.

All this means is that you can come to Thailand and if you are from a country listed in the link, you will be given a stamp which lets you stay in Thailand for either 30-90days without having a Visa. Some airlines will require you have a return ticket on boarding, otherwise they may not let you on the plane.You can extend this visa when in Thailand for 15 days by visiting the immigration office, for the price of 1,900baht.If you are arriving by land using a bus/train or any other method, you will only be given a “Visa Free waiver” of 15 days, with the option to extend for an extra 7 days, the price once again is 1,900baht.

Tourist Visa

You can get a single/double/triple entry visa from your Thai consul back home. Each tourist visa allows one to stay in Thailand for 60days, each one can be extended for an extra 30days at the price of 1,900baht. You cannot get a tourist visa when in Thailand, you must get it outside of Thailand. If you have a double or triple, after the 60 days is up, you must leave Thailand, then re-enter to activate your second visa. You can leave and enter on the same day. Tourist Visa

Thai visa stamp

Work Visa/Work Permit.

To get a work permit you must have a Full time job in Thailand, you will not get a permit in a part time job. I am not fully sure on what the requirements are for a work permit, but I do believe the company you work for need to prove that you are more suitable for the role then a Thai person, otherwise the work permit will not be successful. I would double check this.

Education Visa written by : James Spillane

Getting a B Ed Visa (Education Visa, or ‘student visa’) entails paying a language school 20 – 25,000 baht for Thai tuition.

For example, a friend of mine studies at Pro Language connected to Asok skytrain, which is 23,000 baht for 180 lessons over the course of a year, easily negotiated down to 20,000 if you ask or come in a group.

After paying a deposit, filling in a few forms and having a photo taken, you wait 2 – 3 weeks for the paperwork to be processed, pay the rest of the course fee, and take the paperwork to a Thai consulate outside Thailand, usually Laos. The school runs a van trip there for around 5000 Baht – incuding transport, food, accommodation, Laos entry visa costs, and the actual Education visa itself which is a stamp in your passport for 2000 Baht.

When you re-enter Thailand this stamp gives you 90 days stay. After 90 days you have to go an immigration office in Thailand (e.g. Chaeng Wattana Soi 7, Bangkok) and pay 1900 Baht to extend for another 90 days. Pick up some more paperwork from your school first. You can repeat this every 90 days for a total of a year.

So once activated, in summary the student visa allows you to stay for a year in Thailand without needing to leave, at a rough total cost of 30 – 35,000 Baht. If you do actually want to leave Thailand for a holiday, you can avoid the Ed visa being voided when you return by filling out a re-entry permit form at the airport and paying 1000 Baht. Then you’re still on the same student visa when you’re back.

Staying in Thailand this way works out at an average of around 3,000 Baht per month. This is more expensive than border runs to get tourist visas via van service companies. However, border runs take up many more hours, so if your time is valuable, a student visa may make more sense.

You do of course also get the benefit of Thai lessons. Some expats with a busy schedule choose not to attend lessons – this is fine, there’s no attendance requirement or exam, but it’s recommended to try and learn a few phrases in case you’re asked questions at immigration.

After your year is up you can repeat the whole process. As long as you’re learning, Ed visas allow you to stay in Thailand indefinitely. You can continue with more advanced Thai lessons, or in some places learn other languages. If you’re not a fan of group classes, it’s also possible to pay for private lessons and receive the visa – another friend paid 80,000 Baht for a year’s worth of private tuition.

Language schools are the most common way to get a student visa, but it’s also possible by learning Muay Thai, or Scuba Diving. Often the visa is advertised as ‘free’, i.e. you have the 2,000 Baht stamp cost paid for if you train enough over the course of the year. Usually that’s around 60,000 Baht’s worth of sessions.

For each day you overstay your visa, on whichever visa you have, you will have to pay 500baht per day for every day you overstay, with the maximum limit of the fine being 20,00baht.


If you're thinking about moving to Thailand and need help or advice, check out my Online Nomad Group by clicking here.


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *